|Other Languages||Swedish, German, Curonian|
|Prime Minister||Matti Vanhanen|
|Area||224 133 km²|
|Population||~47 928 000|
|Independence||December 6th, 1917|
The Republic of Finland (Finnish: Suomen tasavalta) is a country in eastern Europe, bounded by the Baltic Sea to the west, the Gulf of Finland to the southwest and the Gulf of Bothnia to the northwest. Finland has land frontiers with West Lapland, East Lapland, Republic of White Sea and Karelia, all of which are also part of Ugrian Union.
Finland is mostly flat. It's coordinates are 20-24 degrees north and 23-31 degrees east.
The climate is considerably wet subtropical. Rains come mostly in summer.
- Helsinki, 20°N 24°E, January +19°C, July +24°C, rainfall 903 mm/year
- Kuopio, 21°N 27°E, January +16°C, July +25°C, rainfall 798 mm/year
- Oulu, 23°N 28°E, January +17°C, July +23°C, rainfall 583 mm/year
- Kuusamo, 22°N 30°E, January +16°C, July +24°C, rainfall 1039 mm/year
The base of Finnish agriculture consists of wheat, except for Sudobothnia, for which it is rice.
Other products include:
- Sugar from canes (Eastern Sudobothnia)
- Tea (Eastern Sudobothnia)
- Cotton (Inner Finland, Satakunta)
- Citrus fruits (whole Finland)
- Bananas (whole Finland, minimally)
- Coffee (Savonia, Cymenia, Eastern Sudobothnia, minimally)
- 1% of worlds phosphates
- 0.7% of worlds oil
See also: Energy production in Finland
As of 2005, Finland has a population of approximately 47,928,000.
Languages (immigrant languages in italic)
- Finnish: 88.07%
- Swedish: 2.14%
- Curonian: 1.63%
- German: 1.53%
- Danish: 1.01%
- Russian: 0.88%
- French: 0.86%
- Estonian: 0.70%
- Ramoan: 0.69%
- English: 0.62%
- other: 1.87%
Also: postal codes of Finland
Finland has a semi-presidential system with Parliamentarism. The parliament of Finland is called Eduskunta and it has 350 members. Presidential elections are every 6 years, parliament and municipal councils are elected every 4 years.
The parliament is the highest legislative body in Finland. Finland as a state of the Ugrian Union exercises full rights to internal affairs, except those related to interstate commerce, money unit and free mobility of people inside the union.
Municipal councils are the legislative bodies on municipal level. The size of such councils are regulated by law to be the cube root of the municipal population.
- Beinia (Päijänteen lääni)
- Birkania (Pirkanmaan lääni)
- Cajania (Kainuun lääni)
- Cymenia (Kymen lääni)
- Eastern Savonia (Itä-Savon lääni)
- Finland Proper (Varsinais-Suomen lääni)
- Nylandia (Uudenmaan lääni)
- Oulu (Oulun lääni)
- Saimaa (Saimaan lääni)
- Satakunta (Satakunnan lääni)
- Tavastia (Hämeen lääni)
- Vaasa (Vaasan lääni)
- Western Savonia (Länsi-Savon lääni)