| Ministerium für Nationale Verteidigung (MfNV)|
Ministry for National Defence
|MfNV Car Flag|
|Jurisdiction||Deutsche Demokratische Republik|
|Agency executives|| Walter Hauptmann, Verteidigungsminister der DDR |
Marschall Edwin von Weichs, Generalstab der Streitkräfte der NVA
The Ministerium für Nationale Verteidigung - MfNV (Ministry for National Defence) is a DDR government ministry in charge of the formation and implementation of national security and defence policy, and for the overall management and control of the activities of subordinate agencies. The ministry is located at Strausberg, Berlin. The ministry is headed by the politically appointed Verteidigungsminister der DDR (Defence Minister of DDR), currently Walter Hauptmann.
- Strategic analysis, research and development (R&D)
- The development of long-term policy including future strategic concepts and doctrines
- Perspective and structural planning
- Planning, budgeting and implementation in the medium and short term
- Overall management of agencies’ activities during the budget year
- Operational policy, planning and management at a strategic level
- Exercise policy, planning and management at a strategic level
- Emergency planning, policy and management at a strategic level
- Crisis management
- Development and implementation of security policy, both nationally and internationally
- Development of defence cooperation with allied- and partner countries
- Strategic personnel management
- Information, communication and press relations
- Strategic leadership and management in the field of ICT
- Organisational development
- Preventive security at a strategic level
- Legal questions
- Controller / Internal audit
- Internal administration
- Direktorate of Personnel and General Services
- Direktorate of Security Policy
- Direktorate of Operations and Emergency Planning
- Direktorate of Defence Policy and Long-Term Planning
- Directorate of Finance and Management
The Ministerium für Nationale Verteidigung execute the management of the Nationale Volksarmee through the following subordinate bodies:
- Kommando Landstreitkräfte (KdoLaSK), based in Geltow near Potsdam.
- Kommando Luftstreitkräfte (KdoLSK), based in Strausberg.
- Kommando Luftverteidigung und Strategischekräfte (KdoLV/STK) based in Berlin.
- Kommando Volksmarine (KdoVM) based in Rostock.
- Kommando der Grenztruppen (KdoGT), based in Pätz near Berlin.
- Logistik Direktorate der NVA (DKLG), based in Berlin, in charge on logistics and procurement.
- Militärische Aufklärung der NVA (DKMA), based in Berlin, in charge on the Military Inteligence.