FANDOM


CoatofArmsofWestland
Part of a series on

Westland

Government

 · Chancellor of Westland
 · Socialist Party General Secretary
 · National Assembly of Westland
 · Socialist Party

Socialism

 · Westlandic Socialism
 · Socialist Party

Culture

 · Westlandic Language
 · Westlandic Alphabet
 · Westlandic People
 · Music of Westland

Economy

 · Economy of Westland
 · Westlandic Mark

Society

 · Education in Westland
 · Transport in Westland
 · Healthcare in Westland

Political Participation

Westlandic politics are conceived to all Westlandic people as being open for everyone. Westland has one of the highest percentage of people registered on the electoral register in the world, aswell as one of the highest average electoral turnout rates in the world, despite low democracy ratings which is mainly due to the outlawing of political parties other than the Socialist Party. 

In Westland all legal citizens over the age of 18, who are not convicted criminals or have been found involved in illegal electoral practice are eligible to vote if they are registered in the Westlandic Electoral Register. Similarly, all people above the age of 18, who are not convicted criminals or have been found in illegal electoral practice are eligible to become a politician and run for public office.

Unlike many other countries, particularly the United Kingdom, there is no perception of a 'ruling class' or people who are percieved as being 'born to rule' and instead a wide range of people from different backgrounds are currently in public office, despite many seeing Westland as having a party-elite' those who are chosen by the party for a political office. 

Elections

There are two types of elections in Westland, the National Assembly elections, in which citizens elect Sociaist Party candidates for seats in the National Assembly. This utilises a preferential voting system known as Single Transferable Vote which eliminates Wasted Votes. 80% of the National Assembly is directly elected, the remaining 20% are allocated by the Socialist Party. The other type of election is the Local Election, in which citizens vote for candidates to Local Government positions, on an Independant basis rather than Socialist Party-based. 

Referendums

The Westlandic Government has made extensive use of Referendums which has strengthened the mandate of the Socialist Party considerably. Generally Westland experiences Referendums in cases of major constitutional change, moral matters or other major changes/proposals. On average there are atleast three referendums, such as the Referendum on legalising Marijuana use in 2003, or the Referendum on legalising Gay Marriage in 1989. People must be over 18 and registered on the Westlandic Electoral Register to vote on referendums, in a similar way to General Elections.

Initiatives

All citizens of Westland are permitted by law to be able to submit an Initiative. An Initiative is a Referendum which is initiated by a member of the public and not the government. Like government initiated Referendums these are open to public vote, however must first have over 250 signatures on a petition to have the Initiative put to vote. 

Pressure Groups

Only Pressure Groups which are affiliated with the Socialist Party are permitted to operate. These include the National Trade Union Coalition and the National Public Rights Union. The National Trade Union Coalition is the largest mass member group in Westland with over 650,000 members. 

Political Parties

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.