Twenty Ninety Five is a Wessex and Cornish science fiction television series produced by Avalon Studios. The series is set in the year 2095, in a bleak future where rising sea levels have turned Earth into a water planet and humanity has been driven onto floating cities. Fresh food produce is scarce, and the tyrannical global government controls the food production to keep overpoulation down, however unbeknown to the general publc, in a world ruled by super corporations and corporate governments, and Chinese and Japanese cultural dominance.
Series 1 was first broadcast on WBC One in 2010, and Series 2 currently broadcasting in 2013. It is the most expensive production in Wessex and Cornwall, and was largely filmed in Avalon's Studios and other locations.
The series follows a group of skyship traders, aboard the ship 'Sakura' who travel the world finding work anywhere they can. However, when a job goes bad, they get mixed up with a rebel group, known as 'The Martyrs.' As they find out the truth about the government, they know they must release this to the public. Series 1 follows the struggle release the information. While Series 2, follows the aftermath known as 'The Summer of Sedition' and the political upheaval caused by the release of the information.
Cast and Characters
- Chiwetel Ejiofor as Captain Adam Lenko - the ships loveable, but tough captain
- Gwendoline Christie as Gwen - the ships tough second in command
- Henry Cavill as Jim - the ship's charismatic pilot and ladies man
- Judi Dench as the Head - the aristocrat turned revolutionary leader of the Martyrs
- Khalid Abdalla as Adullah Al Jihlani - President of the Global Commonwealth
- Natalie Dormer as Katie - the ship's strongminded barterer who uses her womanly charms
- Simon Pegg as Steven - the ship's wise-cracking mechanic